GHOST HUNTERS ON SOUTH PARK

More
14 years 5 months ago #1 by lioneltrainguy
'Dead Celebrities' Kicks Off New Season of 'South Park' 2009: Halloween Specials Already?

'South Park' has done its fair share of celebrity bashing over the years, and it's had some pretty awesome Halloween specials featuring the likes of Korn and "Spooky Vision", a special visual effect meant to give the Halloween special "Spookyfish" an even spookier feel (it's basically just little pictures of Barbra Streisand on the side of the screen). The new season of 'South Park' is starting out with an episode that seems like it could be yet another of the many great Halloween specials the show has done over the years, a haunting tale about "dead celebrities" (which I'm guessing will be full of those that died in 2009).

I don't know if this show is actually meant to be one of the 'South Park' Halloween specials or if it's just playing on the terrible trend that's gone on it 2009. It seems there were more dead celebrities this year than usual, with really big names like Michael Jackson, Patrick Swayze, and Farrah Fawcett in the mix. 'South Park' has already taken on one of these dead celebrities in Michael Jackson, back when he was alive (the episode included a pretty disturbing but imagined moment between Cartman and Michael Jackson). The show has also caught some flack due to its portrayal of dead celebrities. For one of its Halloween specials, Satan was throwing a big underworld bash ('Super Sweet 16' style), and none other than the late great Steve Irwin showed up. I absolutely loved Steve Irwin and did think the "too soon" joke was in poor taste, but that's what 'South Park' is all about. The show also has a recurring character that is now deceased in Satan's boyfriend, Sadam Hussein.

I was starting to think 'South Park' was suffering a bit here lately, but they definitely got Kanye West before everyone else with the 'Fishsticks' episode, and I'm hoping the show stays just as funny and outrageous with the 'Dead Celebrities' episode. I just have a feeling fans of some of the dead celebrities mentioned might be a little upset after the new 'South Park' episode (if it does just focus on the dead celebrities of 2009, there will surely be a lot of people crying, "too soon!"), and I'm sure it's going to really push it being a season premiere.

On the 'South Park' website, the show starts out with a clip of Kyle's little brother Ike stating that he sees dead celebrities. So with this obvious take on 'The Sixth Sense', will this episode have a Shyamalan "what a twist!" ending? I don't know about that, but 'South Park' is known for its twisted endings (the 'Scott Tenorman Must Die' episode being one of the most infamous).

Some of the dead celebrities of 2009 we could see in the show besides Farrah Fawcett, Michael Jackson, and Patrick Swayze could be Billy Mays, Bea Arthur, DJ AM, the Taco Bell Chihuahua, Walter Cronkite, Steve McNair, David Carradine, Ed McMahon, Dom DeLuise, Marilyn Chambers, and Natasha Richardson, to name a few. So fans of these dead celebrities, be prepared to be offended.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.