Lightning

More
13 years 10 months ago #1 by misterpat
Lightning was created by misterpat
For awhile I tried to take some pics of a lightning storm as it passed over my house. Another one is here and reminded me of it. I used to set the camera up on a tripod and set the camera to no flash and hope to catch one in the several hundred pics I would take. I would be lucky to catch two or three, but for the most part, they were blown out from the quick bright light.

Can any of You more experienced photographers shed some light on this?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 10 months ago #2 by msterscary
Replied by msterscary on topic Lightning
5 second shutter at f8.

More
13 years 10 months ago #3 by Vacant NJ
Replied by Vacant NJ on topic Lightning
It's much easier to take photos of lightening at night. Like msterscary said, set your camera to f/8 and then set the shutter to the longest exposure possible, if you have a bulb setting use that. Basically that's it, you just have to wait for a lightning bolt to strike. Using the bulb setting will make it easier because you just hold down the shutter button for as long as you want the shutter open. Of course you're going to want to use a tripod and it might help to turn off the auto-focus.

More
13 years 4 months ago #4 by Error 404
Replied by Error 404 on topic Lightning
try this article on Long exposures:
www.digital-photography-school.com/long-...hotography+School%29

this is a great site. Also I just me go a new to me 20D with only 1000 or so shutter actuation's (ie pics taken) for a what a sweet price with the kit lens. I will be posting some stuff once i get to o out with it

More
13 years 4 months ago #5 by Error 404
Replied by Error 404 on topic Lightning
Here is a link specifically for shooting lightning:
www.digital-photography-school.com/how-to-photograph-lightning