I visited Overbrook as a young child

More
13 years 2 months ago #1 by JanetFromMD
I am now watching "Ghost Adventures." They identified the psychiatric hospital as just "Northern NJ," but I wondered whether it was Overbrook and it appears it is. My Great Uncle Frank Small was a grounds keeper there in the 1930s-40s and my Great Aunt Sue Small was a housekeeper in the doctors' residences until the 1950s. I remember visiting my Aunt Sue there in her apartment when I was a small child. In our home we often used towels and sheets that were labeled Overbrook Hospital. I'm glad to see one poster that stated that Overbrook wasn't nearly as creepy as it is portrayed in "Ghost Adventures."
I've often wondered about the common fascination with old psychiatric hospitals. Maybe one reason is that there is this state of mind that a portion of the population develop that is still so mysterious and that maybe we all have a breaking point and that out there is a "cliff," but for the grace of God, more of us don't fall over. Maybe the stigma of mental illness is our defense mechanism from acknowledging that we all are vulnerable to a mental breakdown given the right (or wrong) conditions.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 2 months ago #2 by misterpat
Thanks for posting that Janet! I must say, when I explore Overbrook, I don't feel the least bit of any "paranormal activity". Would You have any pictures of the Overbrook towels? I never seen one.

More
13 years 2 months ago #3 by JanetFromMD
Sorry, I don't have any pictures of the Overbrook towels or sheets. My parents probably got rid of them when they moved out of the family home in 1975.

More
13 years 2 months ago #4 by misterpat
No problem Janet.

This thread may interest You some. There is a member of the site who pops in once in awhile, Overbrook(Yup, thats his screen name here).

www.overbrookhospital.net/forum/Overbroo...tal/8509-Doctors-Row