Blackburn Asylum, VA

More
14 years 1 month ago #1 by insanebuslady
I won't get into the history of this place seeing how goddam late it is, but I have some on my Flickr, which I will link. I will tell you that it is the oldest standing asylum in the US if not the Western Hemisphere (which I have heard unsubstantiated claims of). Those of you in the know will know what this is. Did it alone, which was kind of creepy. First solo asylum explore, and it was my first time there. At least there were no dark steam tunnels, which actually kind of sucks because it makes it harder to move from building to building.

Only hit up one ward and a few smaller buildings, but I am returning soon to conquer the rest. Here goes

[center:s18p6wgp]#1

Was a medium security penitentiary in its later years

Institutional Asylum-ey Goodness

Interior photos were not from this building. Can't wait to get into this one[/center:s18p6wgp]

Some more pictures + brief history on my Flickr, and more from here coming soon
www.flickr.com/photos/33940411@N ... 678016071/

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 1 month ago #2 by lithiumbaby
Replied by lithiumbaby on topic Blackburn Asylum, VA
Road trip!

BLAH BLAH BLAH

More
14 years 1 month ago #3 by insanebuslady
Replied by insanebuslady on topic Blackburn Asylum, VA

LithiumBaby wrote: Road trip!

There is a LOT to see at this place, I only scratched the surface.. as in like those pictures are from one ward and maybe one or two from larger outbuildings.

Very different from overbrook or any other east coast asylums I've encountered

Pretty empty too though, they cleaned them out pretty well

More
14 years 1 month ago #4 by lithiumbaby
Replied by lithiumbaby on topic Blackburn Asylum, VA
Cool. Looks like an interesting place otherwise. I miss Overbrook when it still had power. I used to hang there when Choke was filming. I saw plenty of cops but they never bothered me cause I blended in with the crew. It was pretty cool cause when the crew was on break we made friends with them and they told us you have run of the place as long as we didn't bother them. At the end of the day we shared beers together and stories of the place. Ahh the good ol days.

Anyways I want to get together a road trip of some sorts. I got the wheels and the time. Even got hookups to a good hot shot lawyer if needed.lol

BLAH BLAH BLAH

More
14 years 1 month ago #5 by misterpat
Replied by misterpat on topic Blackburn Asylum, VA
#4 looks sweet!

More
14 years 1 month ago #6 by insanebuslady
Replied by insanebuslady on topic Blackburn Asylum, VA

MisterPat wrote: #4 looks sweet!

Thanks! There is lots of delicious ward-ey goodness. I'm going back this weekend I'll post pics from the rest soon