Big cats in W. Milford

More
14 years 9 months ago #1 by hidinginshadows
I was hiking the other day in West Milford at Norvin Green State Forest. I saw what I originally thought was a deer. I was about 60 yards away looking through thick brush. It's body was large, about 100 pounds, tanish in color. It was facing away from me. Then I noticed it had a tail. "thats a big dog", I thought. Then the animal flicked it's long tail a few times like a cat. The tail was longer than a dogs. I slowly started closing distance with it to get a better look. The wind changed direction on me and now the animal was downwind. All of a sudden it took off like a bat outta hell. I couldn't believe how fast it moved. I've had a few days to try to wrap my head around what I saw and I keep coming up with the conclusion it was a mountian lion. As if 400+ pound bears, rattle snakes, and Lyme disease infected ticks aren't enough to keep ya on your toes! I love hiking in W. Milford, it's truely gods country up there.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 9 months ago #2 by misterpat
Replied by misterpat on topic Big cats in W. Milford
Interesting. Where there ever reports of such animals in that area?

More
14 years 9 months ago #3 by lithiumbaby
Replied by lithiumbaby on topic Big cats in W. Milford
I have heard of mountain lions being in nj. They used to be indigenous to the area way back in the day. Now there is the return of the mountain lion. I hear that they are quickly spreading east into nj and pa.

BLAH BLAH BLAH

More
14 years 9 months ago #4 by lithiumbaby
Replied by lithiumbaby on topic Big cats in W. Milford
For more info read this abcnews.go.com/Technology/story? ... 121&page=1

Or google mountain lions in nj

BLAH BLAH BLAH

More
14 years 9 months ago #5 by hidinginshadows
That's some crazy shit right there! Thanks for the link Lith, I may not need to get my eyes checked afterall. I totally believe that West Milford has the habitat to support big cats. If theres coyotes, bobcats, bear, deer, beaver, and fox why not lions. A few years ago a buddy of mine saw what he called a wild boar. It was probably a feral pig that escaped human custody. I saw a bear dumpster diving yesterday at a pizzaria on Macopin rd that had to be close to 500 pounds. It was the biggest bear I've seen in awhile.