Greystone or Overbrook ... or just totally forget it ?

More
14 years 5 months ago #1 by chottomatte
Reading and doing my homework on both Greystone and Overbrook Urban Exploration --- and from what ive gathered - Security on BOTH places seems to be a really big issue . one that i never had problems with before running around checking out abandoned areas ...

Now for those who've successfully ventured into the GReystone/Overbrook locations - Which would you say is deemed the easier to get into during the day ? Im visiiting from canada and wanted to check out these locations for photography .

Although I am really interested in checking these two out, I just wanted to get someones thoughts on what they think about checking out these places at this point in time --- worth it ? or just forget it ?

thoughts ? would really appreciate it it cuz ill be heading down to NJ in the next 2 weeks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 5 months ago #2 by demonicdreamz
Greetings and welcome to the our little world and we hope you enjoy your sentence here ! Both places have been recent hotspots because of the media as of follow
Greystone: HOUSE 's season finale was filmed there they come back to do "fill in shots" time to time.Property is patrolled and they have dogs
Overbrook; has been crazy! Choke was filmed there starring angelija houston, ghost hunters did a live broadcast Oct31st.,been rumors of undercover sheriffs roaming the tunnels looking for urbexers.both places are famous as well as www.mountainsanatorium.net/ which was down the street.Check out some of the pics posted and maybe something could be done.

More
14 years 5 months ago #3 by chottomatte
Thanks Demonicdreamz --- nice to be here - I appreciate the quick reply ^___^ and the recommendation with EMS ...

Hopefully that one isnt going to be overly heavily guarded. While im inclined to check out greystone/overbrook -- i guess youre saying I have a better chance checking out the Essex Mountain Sanitorium instead...

You know it baffles me, Do people seriously get arrested ( like CUFFED and tossed in jail ) . I can understand if you get caught with a crowbar and spraycans of paint ... but if youre taking photography, with a tripod ---- you couldnt possibly get thrown in jail for that can you ? or has anyone been prosecuted cuz they were taking photos ???

We have meet ups here in toronto and i usually travel with people to check out places .. There had been numerous instances where cops were present but they just told us to beat it ... again dont mean to sound worrysome but I will be in unknown territory, being a visitor from canada ... never been to NJ before ... so just playing it extra safe . From all the forum posts ive read everyone seems to be getting nailed cuz theyre looking for ghosts, or going in groups with flashlights

has anyone ever gotten a slap on the hand ? or all americans just get tossed in jail for UE'ing ....

come to think of it .. i wonder what theyll do to a CANADIAN like myself caught roaming around taking pics ....

More
14 years 5 months ago #4 by misterpat
Welcome Chottomatte!

Like Demonic said, both sites are patrolled very well. But to answer Your question, "Is it worth it?", I say hell yes!

But You will be arrested if caught. Just be cool!

More
14 years 5 months ago #5 by chottomatte
Mister Pat -- when yo usay arrested ....

like CUFFED and TOSSED IN JAIL ???????? or just spanked on the hand and yelled at ?

More
14 years 5 months ago #6 by chottomatte
btw... is the sanitorium even there still ??? lol ... doesnt seem to be anything is there from what i can see via satellite ( wikimaps)

More
14 years 5 months ago #7 by demonicdreamz
cuffed and stuffed for both,There are areas of overbrook that can be photographed legal like( as long as your on the roadway ,essex county sheriffs patrol the grounds constantly) As for Greystone that also is patrolled by morris county sheriffs dept and 2"inmates here actually spent a few hours in hiding to avaoid arrest. Thecrime commited? Criminal tresspass would be the main depending on the arresting officer. Im not saying not to go or to go but as always be careful of your surroundings esp in a new exploration

More
14 years 5 months ago #8 by insanebuslady
Definitely Overbrook is less risky. There is more access opportunities spread out over a larger area that are well hidden. The entire sprawling campus is connected by underground tunnels, although I have heard rumors of officers patrolling the tunnels. I've been 7-8 times and have never had a face-to-face encounter with a law enforcement officials, although I have had some close brushes, and I suspect they've been patrolling indoors while I've been there although I didn't stick around long enough to find out! Just keep your head on a swivel and your voices down and you should be ok.

And yes, the sanitorium is still very much there. I'm going sometime soon I'll let you know how it goes.

More
14 years 5 months ago #9 by chottomatte
YEah i figured just as much ... Greystone seems to be more out in the open and crawling with law enforcement. Ive been studying the wikimaps and have been looking for some parking spots .. someone on flickr said to go through the back but not entirely sure what that means " THE BACK " lol ... If anything ill check out greystone if there is time ... still kinda interesting to check out anyway ...

thanks for the tips - ive done alot of UE'ing here in Toronto but I never been done it outside of Canada -- I guess well find out pretty soon ...

Id love to hear back from your adventure there !

More
14 years 5 months ago #10 by Vacant NJ

insanebuslady wrote: And yes, the sanitorium is still very much there. I'm going sometime soon I'll let you know how it goes.

The sanitarium, assuming you are referring to the "Essex Mountain Sanitarium", has been demolished for quite some time.

More
14 years 5 months ago #11 by insanebuslady

Vacant_NJ wrote: The sanitarium, assuming you are referring to the "Essex Mountain Sanitarium", has been demolished for quite some time.

No, why would we be talking about a demolished building? Essex County Hospital Complex, sorry. Lots of people here reffer to ECHC as Overbrook Hospital anyway.

More
14 years 5 months ago #12 by Vacant NJ

insanebuslady wrote: No, why would we be talking about a demolished building?

Well because you guys were.

chottomatte wrote:
Hopefully that one isnt going to be overly heavily guarded. While im inclined to check out greystone/overbrook -- i guess youre saying I have a better chance checking out the Essex Mountain Sanitorium instead...

Just looked like there might be some confusion.

More
14 years 4 months ago #13 by chottomatte

insanebuslady wrote:
No, why would we be talking about a demolished building? Essex County Hospital Complex, sorry. Lots of people here reffer to ECHC as Overbrook Hospital anyway.

>_< ... sorry i still dont understand ...

so the Essex Mountain Sanitarium has been demolished for quite some time now ( Vacant_NJ ) --- but thats ALSO called The Essex County Hospital Complex ??? or the hospital is something else right ?

From my understanding ... there are 3 possible locations near each other ... the Jail ... the sanitarium ( which has been demolished ) AND then the Overbrook hospital - Correct ??

More
14 years 4 months ago #14 by Vacant NJ

chottomatte wrote:

>_< ... sorry i still dont understand ...

so the Essex Mountain Sanitarium has been demolished for quite some time now ( Vacant_NJ ) --- but thats ALSO called The Essex County Hospital Complex ??? or the hospital is something else right ?

From my understanding ... there are 3 possible locations near each other ... the Jail ... the sanitarium ( which has been demolished ) AND then the Overbrook hospital - Correct ??

The Essex Mountain Sanatorium has been demolished, you can view past photos at www.mountainsanatorium.net

Now The Essex County Hospital Center also known as Overbrook (a different complex than the demolished Sanatorium), is still standing, as is the jail.

More
14 years 4 months ago #15 by chottomatte
alright - i will scratch the sanitarium off my list ( unless theres anything else around there )

thanks vacant_NJ dude ... Love your site man !!!